Coffee with Carol
Williamson County Parents will have several opportunities in the coming months to meet face to face with WCS Student Support Services Director Carol Hendlmyer. The monthly meetings, called Coffee with Carol, provide families of gifted students and children with with disabilities a chance to meet with Hendlmyer and discuss any general suggestions, concerns or questions they might have regarding the Student Support Services Department. Dates, times and locations for future meeting to be announced soon.
- Friday, October 4 at the Fairview Library from 9:00-10:00 am
- Friday, December 6 at the Brentwood Library from 9:00-10:00 am
- Thursday, January 30 at Longview Rec Center from 6:00- 7:00 pm
Q&A with Dr. Mike Looney
Join wcsLink and Superintendent, Dr. Mike Looney as he addresses families of children with special needs and giftedness. He will discuss Williamson County Schools special education program and there will be an opportunity for Q & A as well.
- Tuesday, October 8 at the Franklin High School library from 6:00-7:00 pm
- Thursday, April 3 at the Franklin High School library from 6:00-7:00 pm
Support Groups for Parents of Children with Special Needs
wcsLink hosts monthly support groups for parents of children with special needs in WCS. This is a casual opportunity to get together and share experiences and resources. All meetings will be held on the following Tuesday mornings at the Fourth Ave. Church of Christ (417 4th Ave. N in downtown Franklin) from 9:30-11am. Parking will be directly behind the church, near the Starbuck’s back parking lot. Click on the link within the calendar to get more information, including guest speaker bios and topics.
- Sept. 10
- October 8
- November 12
- January 14
- February 11
- March 11
- April 8
Support Groups for Parents of Children with Giftedness
wcsLink also hosts monthly support groups for parents of gifted students at the Williamson County Public Library from 10-11:30 am. This is a casual opportunity to get together to share experiences and resources. Future dates will be posted soon. Please click on the meeting within the calendar to get more information about each event.
- Thursday, September 12
- Thursday, October 17
- Wednesday, November 20
Note: Click on the link on the calendar dates above to find more information about the presenter and the training topic for upcoming parent trainings. Please RSVP to the contact name listed on the calendar post so wcsLink can plan accordingly. Handouts and refreshments provided. The following are parent training topics wcsLink has done in the past.
- Thursday, October 24, Parent Training on Sleep Issues with Vanderbilt’s Dr. Beth Malow
at the Franklin High School library from 7:00-8:30pmParent Training on Eligibility, Assessment, and Revaluation in Special Education
- Parent Training on Early Childhood Special Ed Services with attorney Wendy Tucker (date and location TBA)
- Parent Training on Special Needs Trusts with attorney Jason Gichner (details TBA_
- Saturday, March 8, Parent Training on IEPs with attorney Wendy Tucker and WCS SSS dept from 9-12am (location TBA)
If you know of an event that is of interest to WCS special/gifted education families, please email the event date, time, location, and short description to wcsLink